Man loses teeth, gains $2m in ‘pipe bomb’ battery case

A jury in Alachua County, Florida, has awarded over $2m to a man who had an e-cig explode in his mouth in 2016. The court found the vendor “100% negligent”, in a case that could add to continued concern over battery safety.

It was the first time a case involving exploding e-cig batteries had gone to trial in Florida, according to attorney Mike Morgan.

The plaintiff, J. Michael Hoce, had purchased component parts for an e-cigarette online, including a lithium battery from retailer R-L Sales. “The battery turned the e-cig into a pipe bomb,” Morgan said.

...

Restricted content. Do you want to read more?